Thursday, August 23, 2012

S'More Love

I've spent the last week or so completely dejected again.  I noticed that my hint of lime corn chips AND my salt and vinegar potato chips both have milk..!  The corn chips were particularly depressing because I use them with my tomato-free guac to punch it up a bit.  Plain chips are fine, but I'm already at a taste deficit, this just adds insult to injury.  Feeling deprived again sent me looking for another pick-me-up...  When I first began this endeavor I avoided all baked goods (which is a Herculean feat for me...  I bake weekly).  Sam's pediatrician said this wasn't necessary though (she said the proteins change when they're cooked, or something).  I did, however see some mild responses in Sam when I indulged so I've set some ground rules for myself:

1. Only home-baked goods so I know EXACTLY what went in.
2. Nothing with milk or heavy dairy (i.e. sour cream, yogurt, cheese)
3. One serving a day!

With all this in mind I have to make my treats count!  Here is my latest creation to be a salve on my chip wound!

S'Mores Brownies

Melt 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (I found dairy-free) and 4 Tbsp butter in a sauce pan over low heat, stirring frequently.  Turn off the heat and whisk in 3/8 cup brown sugar and 3/8 cup sugar.  Cool slightly.  Add 2 eggs, one at a time.  Add 1/2 tsp vanilla.  Stir in 1/2 cup flour and 1/4 tsp salt.  Spray an 8x8 inch pan.  Spread a small amount of batter in the bottom then line with graham crackers (the first time I skipped the initial batter and the crackers proved VERY messy when eaten).  Bake at 325 for 35 minutes.  Top with mini marshmallows and chocolate chips, pressing them into the top just a bit.  Bake another 10 minutes or until a toothpick comes out mostly clean.  Store air-tight!

Enjoy!!

*Reprised on Sept. 4th!

No comments:

Post a Comment