Wednesday, August 1, 2012

First Light


My first ray of light came, fittingly, for breakfast.  I'll be the first to admit that a lot of my trouble has stemmed from my own pickiness...  I won't eat eggs.  Ok, I WILL eat eggs as long as they come in a tortilla with sautéed onions and peppers, sausage, hot sauce, and LOTS of cheese!  At first I was just eating a lot of nuts and fruit.  You can imagine how boring that gets.  Then I ran into this:

1 Green Apple
1 Lemon's juice
2 Handfuls of Raw Almonds
Several shakes of ground Ginger (I always have to taste and add..)
Fig spread (this was easy to find, figs were not.  I get it in the deli section by the artisan cheese, the irony is not lost on me)
Grape Nuts, added just before eating for a nice crunch and more fiber!
A sprinkle of Flax Seed Meal


Throw the first 5 ingredients into your food processor and make it chunky!  This lasts me two days...  I make a double batch and it's good for most of the week (the lemon juice keeps it fresh).  I have found that it is absolutely necessary to use a food processor.  There have been a couple of occasions (on vacation) where I've had to use a blender and it's awful!  The mixture is yummiest when it's fairly chunky and the blender pulverizes it turning it into a mushy, nasty mess.  It's still edible, but NOT enjoyable.  

I have had this almost every morning for a month now and am still glad to eat breakfast.   Despite that I have another recipe I'll be trying...  I'll let you know how that goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment