Friday, August 3, 2012

Grill It Like It's Hot!

When first learning about a dairy-free life I read that a lot of lunch meats are cured with milk.  So I cut that out (except for the super nagging, however infrequent Subway hankering).  Of course I couldn't have anything with cheese...  My pickiness reared it's ugly head again in the form of a disdain of all fish...  On top of all that I've been forced to eliminate beans, so no black beans and couscous, no (cheese-free) bean burritos...  I was at a loss for protein until my wonderful husband said one night "why don't we grill extra chicken to have around for lunch?"

Brilliant!

After that, every Sunday or Monday we grilled copious amounts of chicken tenderloins marinated in Italian dressing for just enough flavor to eat on their own but not enough to ruin any other plans I might have for them.  After that I ALWAYS had a satisfying lunch!  I would wrap one up with lots of veggies in a tortilla , or with hummus (beans, I know, but we've never had a problem with hummus specifically) and cucumbers, or, my favorite! chicken salad.  Here's how I make it:

Chopped Chicken
Diced Green Apple
Chopped Raw Pecans
Real Mayonaise
Curry Powder

I eyeball everything and mix it all up in a bowl.  I like a little less mayo than average and not too much curry so it's not overpowering.  On the other hand I like LOTS of apples and pecans.  This will keep in the fridge for several days so I generally make at least two lunches worth.  I prefer it on a pita or in a tortilla, both have no milk where wheat bread does.

What is most satisfying about this is the creaminess.  In a life devoid of dairy it's hard to find something that is truly creamy and while this doesn't kill the desperate longing for ice cream, it helps to curb the feelings of complete deprivation.  Hope you like it!!

No comments:

Post a Comment