Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Yummy (and iron rich!) Breakfast

I noticed last night when I was making Quinoa Chicken Stir Fry how LOADED quinoa is with iron (10% dv per one 1/4 cup serving!!) and B vitamins (which I'm also low on).  This is the only meal I use this super seed in, so I thought I'd look up new ways to make it...  However, my two-year-old doesn't like it and my husband really only wants it for dinner (I asked), so it would have to be breakfast!  I found a recipe on Epicurious and have tweaked it a bit...   Here's mine!

1/2 c quinoa, rinsed
3/4 c water
pinch of salt
stick of cinnamon
chopped pecans
real maple syrup (also a good source of iron)
almond/coconut milk

Place quinoa, water, salt, and cinnamon in small pan.  Bring to a boil, then cover and simmer until the water is absorbed, about fifteen minutes.  Toss cinnamon stick.  Stir in pecans, maple syrup, and almond/coconut milk.

Really, you can treat quinoa just like oatmeal, put anything in the world in it and enjoy the crap out of it!  I had tried doing oatmeal with the A/C milk instead of milk and skipped the butter...  It was way too sad to be enjoyable, so I abandoned the idea of making it Sammy-friendly.  I think this is working so well because it's totally new, I don't have any preconceived notions about how it's supposed to taste (my oatmeal is always super creamy and buttery).  I'm pretty excited to have another (easier) breakfast option!

Enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. would this be more like Cream of Wheat?! The girls LOVE that stuff, and this might have a better consistency!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This isn't creamy... The texture is great though! They're kind of "poppy"... Between rice and frog eyes... And they're a bit nutty!

      Delete
  2. This sounds yummy. Have just discovered quinoa. I know you can't have beef right now, but my best friend just put it in meatloaf, and it was fantastic. Something to file away for later. ;)

    De

    ReplyDelete